Professor Frank Sullivan
Professor Frank Sullivan is Director Scottish School of Primary Care and the NHS Tayside Professor of Research and Development in General Practice and Primary Care, University of Dundee. After graduating from the University of Glasgow he combined clinical training in general practice with a PhD in Health Services Research whilst based in Scotland and the Republic of Seychelles. He moved to Tayside in 1998 to continue his research interest in decision making in primary care including the development of Dundee's Health Informatics Centre. He is currently Director of the Scottish School of Primary care, the NHSTayside professor of R&D in General Practice and Primary Care and director of Division of Clinical & Population Sciences & Education in University of Dundee. He led the Scottish team who recently won the BMJ awards research paper of the year in 2009 for an trial of early intervention for Bell's palsy published in the NEJM.
During seven years as director of the primary care research network in Tayside (TayRen) and Fife (EastRen) he worked to increase the quality and quantity of primary care research undertaken in the community. He is currently the principal investigator on two research projects (and co-applicant on eleven others to a combined value of £27.5M) involving health informatics or clinical trials and has published 149 peer reviewed journal articles.
Recent journal articles
- Thiru K, Donnan PT, Weller P, Sullivan F. Identifying the optimal search strategy for coronary heart disease patients in primary care electronic patient record systems. Inform Prim Care. 2010;17:215-24.
- Treweek S, Mitchell E, Pitkethly M, Cook J, KjeldstrÃ¸m M, Taskila T, Johansen M, Sullivan F, Wilson S, Jackson C, Jones R. Strategies to improve recruitment to randomised controlled trials. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2010, Issue 1. Art. No.:MR000013. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.MR000013.pub4.
- Zetta S, Smith K, Jones M, Allcoat P, Sullivan F. Evaluating the Angina Plan in Patients Admitted to Hospital with Angina: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Cardiovasc Ther. 2009 Dec 22. [Epub ahead of print]
- Williams B, Dowell J, Humphris G, Themessl-Huber M, Rushmer R, Ricketts I, Boyle P, Sullivan F. Developing a longitudinal database of routinely recorded primary care consultations linked to service use and outcome data, Social Science & Medicine 70 (2010) 473-478 doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2009.10.025
- Sullivan F, Swan I, Donnan P, Morrison J, Smith B, McKinstry B, Davenport R, Vale L, Clarkson J, HernÃ¡ndez R, Stewart K, Hammersley V, Hayavi S, McAteer A, Gray D, Daly F. A randomised controlled trial of the use of aciclovir and/or prednisolone for the early treatment of Bellâ€™s palsy: the BELLS study. Health Technol Assess 2009;13(47).
- Lockhart P, Daly F, Pitkethly M, Comerford N, Sullivan F. Antiviral treatment for Bell's palsy (idiopathic facial paralysis). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2009, Issue 4. Art. No.: CD001869. DOI: 10.1002/14651858. CD001869.pub4.
- Davenport R, McKinstry B, Morrison J, Smith B, Swan I, Sullivan F. Bell's palsy:new evidence provides a definitive drug therapy strategy. Br. J. Gen Pract 2009; DOI: 10.3399/bjgp09X453765
- McLernon DJ, Donnan PT, Ryder S, Roderick P, Sullivan FM, Rosenberg W, Dillon JF. Health outcomes following liver function testing in primary care: a retrospective cohort study. Fam Pract. 2009; 26:251-9.
- Donnan PT, McLernon D, Dillon JF, Ryder S, Roderick P, Sullivan F, Rosenberg W. Development of a decision support tool for primary care management of patients with abnormal liver function tests without clinically apparent liver disease: a record-linkage population cohort study and decision analysis (ALFIE). Health Technol Assess. 2009 Apr;13(25):iii-iv, ix-xi, 1-134.
- HernÃ¡ndez R, Sullivan F, Donnan P, Swan I, Vale L; for the BELLS Trial Group. Economic evaluation of early administration of prednisolone and/or aciclovir for the treatment of Bell's palsy. Fam Pract. 2009; 26:137-44.
- Madhok V, Falk G, Fahey T, Sullivan FM Prescribe prednisolone alone for Bell's palsy diagnosed within 72 hours of symptom onset. BMJ. 2009;338:b255. doi: 10.1136/bmj.b255.
- Madhok V, Falk G, Rogers A, Struthers AD, Sullivan FM, Fahey T. The accuracy of symptoms, signs and diagnostic tests in the diagnosis of left ventricular dysfunction in primary care: a diagnostic accuracy systematic review. BMC Fam Pract. 2008;9:56
- Wei L, Lang CC, Sullivan FM, Boyle P, Wang J, Pringle S, Macdonald TM. Impact on mortality following first acute myocardial infarction of distance between home and hospital: Cohort study. Heart 2008;000:1-7.doi:10.1136/hrt. 2007.123612
- Barlow G, Nathwani D, Myers E, Sullivan F, Stevens N, Duffy R, Davey P. Identifying barriers to the rapid administration of appropriate antibiotics in community-acquired pneumonia. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2008 ;61:442-51.
- McGilchrist M, Sullivan F, Kalra D Assuring the confidentiality of shared electronic health records BMJ 2007;335:1223-1224, doi:10.1136/ bmj.39421.544063.BE
- Sullivan FM, Swan IRC, Donnan PT, Morrison JMM, Smith BM, McKinstry B, Davenport RJ, Vale LD, Clarkson JE, Hammersley V, Hayavi S, Daly FD. Early Treatment with Prednisolone or Acyclovir and Recovery in Bell's Palsy. N Engl J Med 2007; 357:1598-607.
- Fahey T, Jeyaseelan S, McCowan C, Carr E, Goudie B, Pringle S, Donnan P, Sullivan F, Struthers A. Diagnosis of left ventricular systolic dysfunction (LVSD): development and validation of a clinical prediction rule in primary care. Fam Pract. 2007 2007;24:628-35
- Sullivan F, Butler C, Cupples M, Kinmonth AL. Primary care research networks in the United Kingdom. BMJ. 2007;334:1093-4.