Professor Peter T. Donnan
Professor Peter T. Donnan
BA, BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, FRSS
Peter Donnan is a Professor of Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the University of Dundee. He leads the Dundee Epidemiology and Biostatistics Unit (DEBU) in the Medical School Division of Clinical & Population Sciences, and Education. He is also co-director of Tayside Clinical Trials Unit which has recently achieved UKCRC registration. He has 20 years experience in the design and analysis of Health Services Research including randomised controlled trials of drugs (most recently steroids in Bell's Palsy, NEJM, 2007) as well public health interventions (screening for breast cancer, Lancet, 1990). He has also carried out extensive research on drug safety using Tayside's prescribing database and is the author of over 100 publications (h-index 26), as well as an investigator on research projects to a total of over £11 million. He has developed a number of prognostic algorithms, most notably predicting Coronary Heart Disease (CHD) in people with type 2 diabetes (Diabetes Care, 2006), and Chief Scientist Office funded algorithm to predict risk of emergency admissions in primary care with a view to developing cost-effective interventions for long term conditions (Archives Internal Medicine, 2008). This algorithm (PEONY) has now been adopted by NHS Tayside to identify people at high risk of emergency admissions. A recent HTA-funded study seeks to develop aids to clinical decision making with liver function tests in primary care. In 2004, Prof. Donnan was invited to become a member of the New Drugs Committee of the Scottish Medicines Consortium which seeks to advise Area and Drug Therapeutics Committees across Scotland regarding the cost-effectiveness of new drugs.
Selected Recent Journal Articles
- McMurdo MET, Sugden J, Argo I, Boyle P, Johnston DW, Sniehotta FF, Donnan PT. Do pedometers increase physical activity in sedentary older women? A randomised controlled trial. J Am Geriatr Soc, 2010 (In press)
- Donnan PT, McLernon D, Dillon JF, Ryder S, Roderick P, Sullivan F, Rosenberg W. Development of a decision support tool for primary care management of patients with abnormal liver function tests without clinically apparent liver disease: a record-linkage population cohort study and decision analysis (ALFIE).
Health Technol Assess 2009; 13(25): 1-156.
- Symon A, Winter C, Inkster M, Donnan PT. Outcomes for births booked under an independent midwife and births in NHS maternity units: matched comparison study. BMJ 2009; 338: b2060
- Zhou K, Donnelly LA, Kimber CH, Donnan PT, Doney AS, Leese G, Hattersley AT, McCarthy MI, Morris AD, Palmer CAN, Pearson ER. Reduced function SLC22A1 polymorphisms encoding Organic Cation Transporter1 (OCT1) and glycaemic response to metformin: A Go-DARTS study. Diabetes 2009; 58: 1434-9
- Sullivan FM, Swan IRC, Donnan PT, Morrison JM, Smith BH, McKinstry B, Davenport RJ, Vale LD, Clarkson JE, Hernandez R, Stewart K, Hammersley V, Hayavi S, McAteer A, Gray D, Daly F. A randomised controlled trial of the use of aciclovir and/or prednisolone for the early treatment of Bellâ€™s palsy: the BELLS study. Health Technol Assess 2009;13(47).
- Donnan PT, Dorward D, Mutch B, Morris AD. Development and validation of a model to Predict Emergency admissions Over the Next Year (PEONY): A UK historical cohort study.
Arch Int Med 2008; 168: 1416-1422.
- McCowan C, Shearer J, Donnan PT, Dewar JA, Crilly MA, Thompson AM, Fahey TP. Cohort study examining tamoxifen adherence and its relationship to mortality in women with breast cancer. Br J Cancer, 2008; 99: 1763-8.
- Donnelly LA, Palmer CNA, Whitley AL, Lang C, Doney ASF, Morris AD, Donnan PT. Apolipoprotein E genotypes are associated with lipid lowering response to statin treatment in diabetes: A Go-DARTS study. Pharmacogenetics and Genomics, 2008; 18: 279-87.
- Sullivan FM, Swan IRC, Donnan PT, Morrison JM, Smith BH, McKinstry B, Vale L, Davenport RJ, Clarkson JE, Hammersley V, Hayavi S, McAteer A, Stewart K, Daly F. Early treatment with prednisolone or acyclovir and recovery in Bellâ€™s palsy. New England Journal of Medicine 2007; 357: 1598-607.
- Donnan PT, Donnelly L, New J, Morris AM. Predicting the absolute risk of major coronary heart disease (CHD) events in type 2 diabetes in the United Kingdom population.
Diabetes Care 2006; 29: 1231-36.
- Donnan PT, Wei L, Steinke DT, Phillips G, Clarke R, Noone A, Sullivan FM, MacDonald TM, Davey PG. Presence of bacteriuria caused by trimethoprim resistant bacteria in patients prescribed antibiotics: multilevel model with practice and individual patient data. BMJ 2004; 328: 1297-301.